Nicole~

Anne Neville: Richard III's Tragic Queen - Amy Licence

I can't finish this and you can't make me! I'm in awe as to the many inaccuracies in the book, errors that should have been picked up by an editor who knew just a gossamery hint about the subject matter; well, the same goes for the author.

p. 26  "It was not until the following day that York, his father Salisbury and Warwick escorted the king back to London, where York assumed Somerset's title of Constable of England.

This should read: "York, Warwick and his father Salisbury." York referred to here is Richard of York, Warwick referred to here is Richard Neville -Warwick the Kingmaker, Salisbury referred to here is Warwick's father - 5th Earl of Salisbury.

p. 28  "The pregnancies of Anne's aunt -in -law, Cecily Neville, illustrate just how precarious young lives could be in the mid-fifteenth century. Her experiences as a mother began just three years after Anne's betrothal to the Duke of York, with the birth of her short lived first daughter, Joan. All through the countess's youth and married life, Cecily continued to deliver children, at the rate of approximately one a year until the occasion of Anne's second confinement, in 1456, a year after Cecily delivered her thirteenth and final child. That baby, a girl named Ursula, did not live long, leaving the four -year - old Richard of York as Cecily's youngest child."

This should read: "Cecily's betrothal to the Duke of York". Anne referred to here is Anne Neville, Warwick's spouse.

p.56  "Three more battles early in 1461 sealed the Lancastrian party's fate. On 2 February, Edward, Earl of March, won a decisive victory at Mortimer's Cross in Herefordshire against Henry VI's father-in-law, Owen Tudor....Now, a widower at aged about sixty, Owen Tudor appeared at the head of a Lancastrian army in order to defend his son-in-law's right."

Owen Tudor was not Henry VI's father -in -law but his step-father, having been the second husband of Henry VI's mother, Catherine of Valois. Henry's father- in -law was Margaret of Anjou's father, René d'Anjou, king of Naples. Owen Tudor had many sons, but no son-in-law named Henry VI.

I haven't even gotten to the chapters where the substance of Anne Neville made 'queen' might be lurking. From the way this 'history' book is going, I'm afraid to proceed for fear that, in the hands of Amy Licence, she might turn out to be Richard III's sister. I also have Licence's Elizabeth of York on the shelf; I wonder how that's going to pan out.

In conclusion, Anne Neville, Richard III's Tragic Queen suffers too many careless errors to be overlooked; that is indeed tragic.