Nicole~

The Bird Eater - Ania Ahlborn

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortals every dared to dream before...-- Edgar Allen Poe,The Raven

The Bird Eater is an effective measure of horror and suspense, opening with a potent first chapter describing the gruesome background of the 'haunted' house that could, if anything, be merited a five-star all on its own.

Ahlborn uses iconic psychological bits from well-loved Hitchcockian thrillers like
The Birds-

She screamed against the onslaught of beaks jabbing at her arms, her breasts, her legs, back of her head.

--and Psycho-

Soft whispers sounded from behind the shower curtain, like someone fluttering their fingers against the draped plastic that hung from the rod...There was someone behind the curtain; he was certain of it.

--and blends in a traumatized protagonist whose mental stability is as questionable as the unnamed narrator in Fight Club-

--to create an effectively chilling concoction.

We all go a little mad a little...

Plotlines aren't purely original nor over-the-top gory, although some scenes do have their share of sanguineousness. Ahlborn keeps an even-handed exchange between supernatural beliefs and the reality of hereditary mental illness, while controlling suspense at a strongly pulsating pace.

This was my first read from this goth-promising author whose other works I would definitely consider. Excerpts from her previous book The Shuddering follow my kindle copy of The Bird Eater and seem worth pecking at.